Liriodendron... designed in 1897 by Baltimore architects Wyatt & Nolting, was the summer residence of Dr. Howard !. Kelly, one of the "Big Four" physicians of Johns Hopkins Hospital. The mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The palladian mansion has been described as "belonging on the cliffs of Newport rather than on the western edge of Bel Air in Harford County Maryland.
The buildings and 108 acres of woodlands are owned by Harford County as part of Heavenly Waters Park. In 1980, with the encouragement of the county government, The Liriodendron Foundation, a non-profit Maryland corporation was created to manage the property for the public benefit and to raise funds for its support.
Liriodendron was open in September 1981 as a center for Harford County historical and cultural arts. It is a historic, cultural, educational, and recreational facility.